Sunday, February 7, 2010

Bisping Off for Oz, Hoping to beat Jetlag, Weather Storm

Michael Bisping has been doing a blog for The Telegraph leading up to his UFC 110 showdown with Wanderlei Silva in the UFC's debut Down Under. Bisping notes how arriving in Australia early will help him avoid a case of performance killing jetlag:

I believe I am getting into Australia a lot earlier than my opponent Wanderlei Silva. Wanderlei is very experienced, and has fought in Japan many times so is used to fighting in different time zones, but I think he’s making a mistake in not getting to Australia earlier than next weekend.

Jet-lag is a serious issue for any athlete. I know Aussie boxer Kostya Tszyu struggled when he did the reverse trip to fight Ricky Hatton five years ago and there have been American UFC fighters who have really suffered with the time change when they fight in the UK.

The last thing I wanted to do was fight someone as dangerous as Wanderlei Silva while at the same time fighting my own fatigue.


When fighting overseas, jetlag is always an issue but not always one that is played up in the media narrative. Bisping will need to be mentally and physically sharp if he is going to use his technical boxing to keep Silva at bay and outpoint Wanderlei. Timing and quickness will be integral elements in this gameplan and getting to Australasia two weeks early assure that the best possible Bisping will be on display.

Bisping also sees surviving Wanderlei's initial blitkrieg as key:
I think the first 60-seconds of this fight could be some of the most difficult moments of my entire career, because I can see Wanderlei storming after me right at the horn.
Silva's opening salvo against Keith Jardine is a prinme example of the frantic pace that Wanderlei can impose on his opponent that ends the fight before it really gets a chance to begin. Being able to survive the initial onslaught and dictate the pace thereafter decide whether Bsiping can defeat the pride legend.

No comments: